Part of the delight of wedding planning is finding a wedding venue that feels just right for your big day, but avoid those nasty pitfalls with my top destination wedding venue questions to ask before paying your deposit!
I love receiving real wedding submissions and through them exploring new wedding venues in France. I have been told that I still “ohh and ahh” when editing the images and often can be heard saying “soo pretty” out loud. It can be so hard when visiting a venue in person, to not let your heart rule your head and make sure that you are fully aware of the services offered.
It might not seem romantic or the fun side of wedding planning, but the easiest way is to be armed with a list of questions before you visit the venue. That way you will not forget anything important, and if you are visiting multiple venues on a research trip, you can be sure to compare the services offered like for like.
But before I suck all of the fun out of wedding planning – another image of a beautiful French wedding venue!
So here are my top destination wedding venue questions to ask, some are standard venue questions and some more specialised:
- How many other weddings or large events will be booked that day/ weekend?
- What exactly does the wedding packages cover? ( Items to check for especially if hiring a private Chateau, are tables, chairs, plates, cutlery, linens)
- Is there a minimum rental period/ rooms booked for a wedding? (Some venues/ private Chateau are weeklong rentals, not nightly).
- What is your payment schedule and does the cost include service and tax?
- What is your cancellation policy? (Don’t forget the cancellation policy also applies to the venue cancelling).
- Who will be the main point of contact during the planning and on the day of the wedding?
- Can we use outside caterers/ suppliers and do we have to use an approved list? If it is an approved list ask if the businesses are paying to be on the list or recommended due to experience?
- What accommodation do you have available on site, or where is the nearest accommodation?
- What are the staff numbers on a wedding day? (Slow service can be an ambiance killer)
With so many beautiful non traditional wedding venues in France especially as most weddings are actually blessings, here are some specific questions for self catering/ DIY style weddings:
- Does the cost including electric/ gas and logs? (If planning a winter wedding the wood cost can be quiet expensive if heating a rustic old Chateau)
- What bed linens/ towels/ toilet rolls (I know, complete non romantic side of wedding planning) are included?
- If you are planning a DIY wedding, think like a supplier and check power sockets, access routes, packaging storage etc
When visiting the venue it is always best to be honest and if you are looking at multiple venues, let them know. Be sure to ask all of the questions that you want to and if the venue makes you feel hurried at this stage, then chances are they aren’t going to invest the time you are looking for in your wedding preparations.
If it all seems a bit too much, then be sure to enlist the help of a trained wedding planner who can guide you through the whole process.
Have you found your wedding venue yet? What questions and issues have you been experiencing?